Sunday, January 29, 2012

There are fallen angels, and then there is ANGELFALL

Angelfall
By: Susan Ee
Reported by: Julianna Helms

It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

-Summary from Goodreads

Barnes & Noble||Amazon

Angelfall is a disturbingly gruesome, extravagantly visual, and terrifyingly bloody, addictive story.

This was one of those books that I read based on hype and endless recommendations alone. So you must sense, or perhaps even understand, my disappointment when I ended up disliking it.

I must admit that I'm a slightly squeamish person. In fact, I never watch horror movies. So if that's the complete opposite of you, I think you'd love this book. Alas, enamored and terrified do not synchronize in my case, and there's nothing I can do about that but embrace it. In truth, I greatly enjoyed the first three quarters of Angelfall. The action was thriller-paced, the characters realistically flawed, and such an ambitious story robbed my breath away.

But the book's also weird. Really, really weird. Weirder than fish-with-neon-purple-feet-and-wings weird. And though I was fine with the grotesqueness in the beginning, it reached a point where I just... felt like throwing up. (But I didn't. Thank goodness.)

If you can stand reading about a child tearing and eating angel flesh, well, this book is as available as they come. But if the very thought churns your stomach, maybe something else would be more suitable.

Overall, Angelfall is a horrific-in-content, terrific-in-writing (it actually resonates the prose of Suzanne Collins) novel that will definitely click with something in you.

Whether it's a good or bad feeling, though... well, as they always say: That, you'll have to see for yourself.

5 comments:

  1. awesome review
    i have a copy reading soon
    its freaking 99 cnts omg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, yes, there were definitely moments that were super squeamish in this book. But it was amazing! I absolutely loved it and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it so much as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Roro Thank you! :D Yeah, it definitely is worth the 99cents.

    @Stephanie Yay, glad you enjoyed it! :) I certainly did enjoy a big part of it, though the ending kind of ruined the deal, ha. Oh well, that's why happens when you read horror even though you never usually do so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been seeing this book around a lot. It looks amazing and yes I love Horror so I think I may need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Pam Yes, I know you'll LOVE this one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a response! I love hearing back from you all! :) I respond to comments here on the blog, so if you'd like me to reply to you via e-mail, just state so in your comment. Also, this is an award-free zone. I love and superbly appreciate all of your generous thoughts; I'm just terrible at returning your kind favor.

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...