Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Variably Variant

Variant
By: Robison Wells
Reported by: Juli Helms
Source: NetGalley

Benson Fisher thought that a scholarship to Maxfield Academy would be the ticket out of his dead-end life.
He was wrong.
Now he’s trapped in a school that’s surrounded by a razor-wire fence. A school where video cameras monitor his every move. Where there are no adults. Where the kids have split into groups in order to survive.
Where breaking the rules equals death.
But when Benson stumbles upon the school’s real secret, he realizes that playing by the rules could spell a fate worse than death, and that escape—his only real hope for survival—may be impossible.

-Summary from Goodreads
Release date: October 4th, 2011

Variant was very much like a variable. There are a myriad of ways to calculate the answer, yet in this case, few actually work.

The beginning of Variant felt a bit like the beginning of The Maze Runner to me--not the plot, but the pacing. The first few chapters fell slow. Even though there was a sense of mystery in the air, I wasn't surprised at the behaviors of the school and its students--I've read similar plot before. However, Benson, the main character, has a semi-sarcastic voice that kept me reading on.

This book was an interesting read. There are definitely twists. However, not all the twists came as a shock to me, but that may just be because I tend to analyze plot carefully while reading, so few plot twists actually end up becoming "twists". The main characters were very well developed, and while the supporting characters held my attention, I felt like they could've been even more multidimensional.

Overall, I recommend this book to fans of The Maze Runner and a strong voice that will keep you captive through even slow chapters. This book was refreshing, and Mr. Wells crafts a unique spin on the answer behind traps and imprisonment.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do leave a response! I love hearing back from you all! :) I respond to comments here on the blog, so if you'd like me to reply to you via e-mail, just state so in your comment. Also, this is an award-free zone. I love and superbly appreciate all of your generous thoughts; I'm just terrible at returning your kind favor.

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...