Friday, August 26, 2011

What's the point of chocolate?

(Original here)
I'm going to admit something. Something that will make your jaw drop and shake your head and possibly uproot a tree (or maybe that's just me).

I did not like chocolate.

Notice how I said DID. Past tense.

Here's the story: From sometime in my youth, I had decided: I hate chocolate! Every time a friend offered me a piece of chocolate, I valiantly declined. And then they would stare at me like I've grown an extra head, and then they would smile, say thanks, and engulf the chocolate.

About four months ago, something happened. I was very stressed, because it was testing month. I was staying up late and reading textbooks and completing worksheets and I was a mess. One day during math, I was so bummed out that when my friend Poiema asked me if I wanted a Hershey's Milk Chocolate bar, I said yes. I bought it for a dollar, because I remember hearing somewhere that chocolate makes you feel better. So... I ate it, and for the rest of the day I was okay. I wasn't happy, but I wasn't feeling terrible, either. And that motivated me. With more chocolate, I slowly started to climb back up from the stacks of pressure.

Chocolate woke me up.

I stopped kicking myself (figuratively) for not reading three units of my science book in one night (which I actually did, by the way, out of necessity). I embraced the tests with open arms. And the end result? 600. Perfect score.

*toots imaginary horn*

What is the point of this? The point is, don't be afraid to try new things. Step outside of your comfort zone. Take a risk. Apply that to writing. Because no matter how deep you are in doubt, there is always a way out. Don't ever give up hope, and keep trying.

And of course, keep eating chocolate.


Blogger tricks and toolz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do leave a response! I love hearing back from you all! :) I respond to comments here on the blog, so if you'd like me to reply to you via e-mail, just state so in your comment. Also, this is an award-free zone. I love and superbly appreciate all of your generous thoughts; I'm just terrible at returning your kind favor.

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...